GC has developed it products that are environmentally friendly and safe for consumer use, and are aligned with the principle of circular economy. GC uses the Eco-design criteria and Life Cycle Assessment and integrate these method with the Company’s technological innovation to create highly efficient.
This includes plastic products that are biodegradable which is environmentally friendly, low-carbon products, and upcycled and reprocesses plastic products. Outstanding products in 2020 are
High Performance Products
- GC has developed plastic compound for autoparts, which has passed durability tests and met the specifications standard of the automotive industry.
- GC has developed the properties of plastic resin to be more compatible with its customer’s high-speed monofilament production machine. The enhanced plastic resin yields tougher and stronger monofilament, which has contributed to reducing costs and process loss for customers.
- GC has jointly invested with AREVO, a startup company specialized in the development composite materials using 3D printing technology. This technology requires low production energy and operating costs and can timely yield products with unique or complex properties, e.g. autoparts, aviation parts, sports equipment, etc. These composite materials are recyclable, five times stronger but three times lighter than Titanium. They are also recyclable, which can be considered an innovation that mimics nature, which is a sustainable method of developing a durable light-weight material
- GC had developed the Epoxy formulation that is used in manufacturing composite rebar for ow-rise structures, and extended the business to construction industry.
- GC has worked to upgrade the properties of Rotomolding grade linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) products, including greater impact strength, decreased processing cycle time, and a more appealing post-molding texture. As a result, the products are able to respond to the demands of the new customer market both within the country and abroad.
- GC has boosted our biodegradable Polyactic Acid (PLA) plastics with heat-resistant properties for use in plastic tableware production, such as plates, bowls, knives, spoons and forks, which can be naturally degraded in appropriate conditions. At present, GC has collaborated with manufacturers of Sahapat Group to produce heat-resistant cutlery from bioplastics, which is distributed under the brand B-leaf.
Innovation ManagementRead more
Bioplastic and Low Carbon Products
GC developed the innovation of
biodegradable plastic beads or BioPBS which can replace normal plastic beads for manufacturing different packaging and products such as spoons, forks, straws, film, dry food containers and as a coating on paper cups. But most importantly BioPBS can decompose naturally due to the three fundamentals as follows: heat, moisture and bacteria in the soil, allowing it to be disposed with organic waste or food waste. Thus, after being landfilled, the materials will decompose due to the bacteria in the soil, and convert into carbon dioxide, water and biogas without leaving any harmful residue to the environment. In 2020
million THB per year
- GC develops Bioplastic Resin to Support National Environmental Policy and Thailand’s policy to reduce plastic use.
- GC develops GC compostable label to promote consumer awareness of products made from biodegradable raw materials or products with special properties. This help increase the opportunity for manufacturers to develop products that meet the market’s needs, and supported government policy to reduce environmental and global warming problems.
- Create R&D cooperation network with local experts and agencies in order to uninterruptedly respond to customer needs during COVID-19, for example, a partner company dealing in plastic conversion who has shown interest in utilizing PLA/BioPBS to manufacture degradable melt blown filters for surgical masks.
Sustainable ProductsRead more
Transformation of Waste into New Products
- Upcycling SE project through Sarn Palung Social Enterprise (SPSE), Social Enterprise (SE) under PTT Group focusing on comprehensive treatment of plastic waste to create added value. Used plastic is recycled into fashion and daily life items under Trademark “Upcycling by GC”, including 19 products in 2020.
- GC has collaborated with PTT Oil and Retail Business Public Company Limited, or PTTOR, to reuse waste from Cafe Amazon stores and coffee factory to create modern furniture under the “Circular Living” concept, e.g. the Macaw wall decoration made from Polypropylene plastic coffee cups, coffee tables made from coffee factory waste, and sofa textile made from used water bottles, etc. Furthermore, the Cafe Amazon Circular Living Concept store has replaced its packaging with biodegradable materials, e.g. 100 percent biodegradable Polybutylene Succinate (PBS) coated paper cup for hot drinks, 100 percent plant based Polylactic Acid (PLA) cups for cold drinks, and bioplastic straws, etc.
- CG has collaborated with Sansiri Public Company Limited, one of Thailand’s leading real estate developers, to create performance and durable products for homes, e.g. water tanks made from GC’s high-quality plastic resins, non-VOC solvent for decorative paint, made from natural ingredients, which is safe for residents and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor and construction materials like wood composite. Additionally, GC has created eco-friendly furniture using recycled Polyester from the Upcycling by GC project.